Solving performance issues with Windows 8 + Wampserver + Drupal

For quite some time I had been having performance issues working with websites locally on my Windows 8 machine. This is not exactly an uncommon problem, and there seems to be no one solution that works for everyone. After spending a Saturday working through many issue threads resulting in at least a dozen possible solutions, I found a particular combo that worked for me. Although I didn't do any benchmarking I would guess my pages are now loading at least 50% faster, perhaps even more than that. Which means less frustration and HUGE productivity gains = a happier me. :-)

My system specs:

WampServer 2.2 (32-bit*), Windows 8.1 (64-bit), Apache 2.2.22, MySQL 5.5.24, PHP >= 5.3

* For some reason I've never been able to get the 64-bit version of WampServer to play well with Windows 8.

Steps

Note that I am not an expert in Windows or WAMP. As always, implement at your own risk!

  1. Add bind-address = 0.0.0.0 to MySQL my.ini:

    c:/wamp/bin/mysql/mysqlX.X.X/my.ini

    [wampmysqld]
    # ..
    # ..
    bind-address = 0.0.0.0
  2. Change Listen 80 to Listen 0.0.0.0:80 in Apache httpd.conf:

    c:/wamp/bin/apache/apacheX.X.X/conf/httpd.conf

    #Listen 80 
    Listen 0.0.0.0:80
  3. Edit the Windows hosts file (help):

    c:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1

    I didn't actually need this step, since it was already set, but it seems important enough to include here.

  4. If running a Drupal installation...

    In sites/default/settings.php (Drupal 7/8) change value of $databases['default']['default']['host'] from "localhost" to "127.0.0.1".

  5. If using McAfee anti-virus protection...

    Add port 3306 (help) under Navigation > Firewall > Ports and System Services.

  6. Restart WampServer.

If that doesn't work for you, try these threads:

- Lara